Word of the Week

Learn the anatomy of your home and become a better homeowner! We will be posting a building term every week so you can better understand the structure of your home or building.


No, it is not misspelled: it is jamb with a “b”. The jamb is found on the vertical sides of a window or door. The top of a door can be called the “head jamb” but is more often called the “header” and, on its own, “jamb” will just refer to the side frames. For a window, the top is called the “window head”. Finally, the bottom frame of a door or window is called the “sill”, not “foot jamb” or “footer”!


This entry was posted in Handyman's Handbook. Bookmark the permalink.